Period & Heritage Style Homes
Melbourne has a love affair with heritage architecture and period homes. There are a distinct number of influential period styles prevalent in many suburbs, each with a unique aesthetic, that help provide a strong sense of neighborhood character. From the classic Victorian architecture in suburbs like Carlton and Middle Park to the beautiful federation style homes in Canterbury and Camberwell; to the miner’s cottages of Kensington and Fairfield.
Local councils are becoming increasingly rigorous in their approach to retain such homes and preserve the neighborhood character, requiring specialist expertise in period recreation, renovation and council management.
Whether you are looking to knock down rebuild or restore and renovate, at Destination Living our architects are experienced in heritage recreation, preservation and restoration. Our extensive experience dealing with councils ensures our clients from the outset are navigated through approvals to ensure the best outcome.
Our approach to Period homes & Heritage homes
Period homes are a paradox in many ways; visually so charming but designed and built to cater to a past lifestyle and conditions that no longer exist. The challenge in the renovation or re-creation of a period home is it’s adaption into today’s lifestyle whilst maintaining its aesthetic integrity. Poorly designed period style homes and renovations can very easily become a blight on the neighborhood and negatively affect re sale values.
At our core is the creation of good design. When working with heritage buildings it is essential that good design is coupled with sensitivity towards the aesthetic elements and architectural style of the period while also accommodating our clients’ needs and lifestyle.
Our Northcote project above is a Californian Bungalow recreation featuring traditional features such as dado brick banding, timber lined eaves, tapered piers and stucco finish gables.
The services we provide
Our services in this area are flexible ranging from individual design services to comprehensive all in one design build solutions. In addition to our standard range of services we also offer a number of specific services when working with heritage buildings:
• Heritage management in line with council requirements, permits, consultants and registrations
• Heritage and period renovation and restoration works
Why choose Destination Living?
- Specialists in heritage recreation, renovation, restoration and navigation of council requirements
- Attentive tailored service – Each project is individually designed from scratch to suit your site, brief and budget
- Flexible services – we offer a full range of service options, from a comprehensive design and build service to individual architectural and interior design services
- Our approach is holistic – because the whole design team is under one roof our architects work in close collaboration with our interior designers and construction team
- Powerful Cost support program - Our unique cost support processes and methodologies help you manage your budget throughout the design process
Above is our French Provincial Home Project in Kew.
To see more of our Period homes click here or Call us on 1300 637 837 to discuss your project.